100% Grassfed Beef burgers sound delicious with summer just around the corner! Bleu cheese and brussel sprouts warm up this burger while giving it a distinctly nutty flavor appropriate for spring. We suggest cooking your burgers in a well-seasoned cast iron skillet if you can’t grill them. Special thanks to our friend Lindsey McClave for creating and sharing this recipe for Foxhollow Delivery, our monthly subscription service from our farm to your door.
- 1 lb Foxhollow grassfed ground beef, divided into three equal burger patties
- ½ lb Brussels sprouts, stems removed, quartered, loose leaves reserved
- ¼ lb bacon, chopped
- 2 oz bleu cheese
- ¾ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 heaping tbs light brown sugar
- 3 burger buns
- 2 tsp grapeseed oil
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place cast iron skillet over medium high heat & add grapeseed oil. Once hot, add bacon & cook until fat is rendered & bacon is crispy, 4-6 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove bacon to a plate lined with a paper towel & set aside. Leave fat from bacon in the skillet.
- Place Brussels sprouts on a baking sheet. Add ½ tsp kosher salt, ¼ tsp black pepper, & 1.5 tbs of reserved bacon fat. Toss to coat all Brussels well before placing in the oven. Cook for 10 minutes, toss with a spatula, and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, until Brussels are browned & crisped. Transfer to a bowl & add the bacon pieces. Toss to combine & set aside.
- Pour the balsamic into a small sauté pan & add brown sugar. Whisk to combine & bring to a low boil, cooking until balsamic has reduced by half & has become thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from the heat to a bowl & set aside to cool. *Be careful not to place your face directly above the pot while the vinegar is cooking as it is very strong.*
- Spoon off bacon fat left in cast iron skillet, leaving just enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Warm over medium high heat. Season both sides of each burger with salt & pepper & add to the hot skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Place burgers on bottom half of buns, top with bleu cheese, Brussels sprout & bacon mixture, & drizzle with balsamic reduction. Add top half of bun & serve.